How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just last week my divorce became final. We did a agreed

Customer Question

just last week my divorce became final. We did a agreed parenting plan and a settlement agreement and it was over. Well, it has come to light that my ex hid the fact that he owned $770,000 in Netflix stock that he invested in 8 years ago (we were married for almost 16 years). I did not know about this and have gotten bits and pieces from here and there about this subject. As soon as the divorce was final, I have been told that he cashed this stock out for the above amount. Am I wrong to think that I am entitled to some of this money? Especially since he hid it from me? I believe he may have put it in a different name a few years ago but there should be a paper trail somewhere. It's not that I'm a greedy person but I feel very disrespected over this. All I want is for my daughter to be taken care of and this money would be a great help to us. We live in Iowa if that helps answer the question. Just want to know if I have a legal foot to stand on in this situation or should I just let it go?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

When a party to a divorce fails to disclose marital assets, the party commits a fraud against the court as well as against the other party. If your understanding is correct, you should retain an attorney along with a forensic accountant to enforce your rights to your appropriate share of the stock or the proceeds. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought. But what if it wasn't in his name? Do you think there's a way he could have covered his tracks enough to make it impossible for me to prove it? I don't have extra money laying around to be able to afford hiring a lawyer or forensic accountant...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it's going to cost me more money, please don't answer the additional questions I asked after your reply. Thank you.
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

You have not hit the accept button yet, so this will not cost more money. It would be typical for the investment not to be in his name. This is why I would encourage you to work with a forensic accountant. The "proof" of ownership will be in who is spending the money or directing the use of the proceeds. If your ex-husband is benefiting, this can be enough to prove "ownership."

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I would appreciate it if you would hit the accept button once I have fully answered your question.

Related Family Law Questions