How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37409
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm on ssi a friend left me 100.000 in s will. it will screw

Customer Question

i'm on ssi a rich friend left me 100.000 in his will. it will screw up my benefits. but what if i refuse to cash the check?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If you were to refuse the inheritance, then it wouldn't have to be reported to SS and end up terminating your benefits. You can just sign a statement saying that you are disclaiming any interest in the inheritance, now and forever, have it notarized, and then give it to the executor of the estate and that would protect your benefits.





Related Family Law Questions