How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19626
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson's father signed over s rights about 8 years ago

Customer Question

my grandson's father signed over his rights about 8 years ago and now we would like to adopt the child.. The mother, our daughter, is willing to sign over her rights. how do we do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Could you clarify?

I thought you said that the father's rights had already been terminated?

Did the Court terminate the father's rights?

What state does this issue pertain to?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we had the fathers rights terminated by the court, he was not a good man, he was a drug dealer and due to the fact he was angry that she had the child, we were afraid he might harm the child. The mother has lived with at times and at others not, but the child has always lived with us we have been responsible for him in all ways. He is autistic and he and my husband and I are the only parents he has known, oh he knows his mom is his real mom, but he has always look to us for parenting. We are in Texas and I'm not sure of our rights. Like I said the mother is willing to sign the child over to us. How can we do this?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

If the mother is willing to sign over her rights and the father's rights have already been terminated, then your part to adopting the child is a lot smoother. You would need to file Petition for Adoption at the District Court in the County where the child resides. Along with the petition, the mother must complete and sign Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights. You should obtain these forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.