How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced 7 years ago & in the divorce papers it states

Customer Question

I got divorced 7 years ago & in the divorce papers it states I Get a QDRO for his pension plan up until the divorce. I just got a letter from his pension plan that said I could get it now. We are both still working. It asks to show the QDRO & I only have the divorce papers. Was I supposed to do something else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

A qualified domestic relations order is required to be submitted to the court inside by the judge stating how the retirement assets to be divided. That has been sent to the plan administrator so that they know how the court or the parties have agreed to divide the retirement asset you need to do this as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand what I have to do. It's entered in the divorce papers.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

The QDRO is a separate document. You can recognize the because it will be titled qualified domestic relations order. If you have this and it's been signed by the judge and the parties it needs to be submitted to the plan administrator for the retirement assets.