Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I got divorced 7 years ago & in the divorce papers it states

Customer Question

I got divorced 7 years ago & in the divorce papers it states I Get a QDRO for his pension plan up until the divorce. I just got a letter from his pension plan that said I could get it now. We are both still working. It asks to show the QDRO & I only have the divorce papers. Was I supposed to do something else?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

A qualified domestic relations order is required to be submitted to the court inside by the judge stating how the retirement assets to be divided. That has been sent to the plan administrator so that they know how the court or the parties have agreed to divide the retirement asset you need to do this as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand what I have to do. It's entered in the divorce papers.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

The QDRO is a separate document. You can recognize the because it will be titled qualified domestic relations order. If you have this and it's been signed by the judge and the parties it needs to be submitted to the plan administrator for the retirement assets.