How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering what my rights were as a mother. i am not

Customer Question

Hello, i was wondering what my rights were as a mother. i am not married and living with my boyfriend who is also the childs father, if things are not going well and i decide to move back home, which is in california and we are currently in alaska, would i have the right to take my child. she was born in california and all my family is there. he is in the air force so that is why we are out here. i am currently unemployed so i would be relying on my family for support until i could get a job or start school. thank you for your time
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

There are many books written about parental rights under the law and there would not be a way to cover the entire topic of law within the scope of this service.

Do you have a specific questions about parental rights that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would i be able to move back to california with my child or would i have to stay here until his contract is up
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific situation, but generally, the courts would allow the mother to move back to the state where there is all family support present, especially in cases involving the other parent who is in the military and is temporary stationed in a state, however, each case is unique and is decided on individual specific basis, so it is important if a petition for custody is filed with the local family court, to consult and retain an experienced child custody attorney to represent you.

You can find an experienced and skilled local child custody law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to child custody law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.