How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 55 years old. I have a friend who is 71 years old. s

Customer Question

Hi: My name is***** am 55 years old. I have a friend who is 71 years old. His name is Joe. We both live in Lexington, South Carolina. Within the last year, my husband and I have noticed Joe is very forgetful. Always loosing things and repeating himself. His only source of income is $1,000 per month on social security. He has a 39 year old son who is very busy with his job and is basically not around much. Approximately, 2 months ago, Joe had back surgery. This type of surgery is generally done as an outpatient. Joe spent one day in the hospital after the surgery due to his age. We went to his house to visit about 3 days later and he was not himself. He acted like he was high on prescription drugs. That following Monday I got a call from his son saying that Joe had gone missing. By late that afternoon, we learned he had been arrested. His son found him wandering around the streets of downtown Columbia. His car had been impounded and had been involved in an accident. He told me the police found a small amount of marijuana in his car. When I ask him what happened he is very confused and cannot put a time line of events together. To this day he seems to be very mixed up. He keeps blaming the hospital for releasing him after they loaded him up with drugs. Worse yet, $4,800 in cash was confiscated from his car by the police. He told me there is a record of the cash taken by the police. His explanation for the cash in the car is that he had gone to his safety deposit box to get money to buy his grandson a car. I'm not sure if he had been charged with driving under the influence of drugs or not. He keeps telling me that he was not charged with "drunk" driving. His drivers license was taken from him. He told me that he has called the court every day to find out his court date but is told that courts are backed up due to the recent flooding in the area. He has had to rely on friends and family to go to doctor appointments and the grocery store. I have two questions: 1) Is there any way to approach the court to get a limited license before his court date and 2) do you know if there is affordable legal advise for senior citizens on a limited income in this area? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon,

I will try to best answer your question.

Yes you can request a court to issue a "bread and butter license" which is what its called to have a limited license for work or medical purposes. It may be difficult to obtain the license at the very outset of the proceedings.

Since the matter is criminal, he will be entitled to a public defender if he is unable to afford a private attorney. They do not offer any other free legal services beyond the public defender.

Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Would you be kind enough to rate me please. Thank you