Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40

Customer Question
yrs, we divorced. He passed...
I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40 yrs, we divorced. He passed in 2007 the same year I remarried. I am collecting my S.S. at this time & I'm 73 yrs. old. I was told it's possible to get more benefits from my divorced/deceased husband.
I've never changed my previous name & my present husband & I have separate accounts. IE: bills, banking, ss, If I can receive more benefits, it'll help with my income & bills. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/15/2015
Family Lawyer: mmdesq, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney

Good Afternoon,

I will try to best answer your question. If you were married for more than 10 years, you have the option of having your Social Security based upon your earnings or 1/2 of the amount of your prior husbands Social Security amount. You are entitled to select whichever one is larger.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with the situation.

mmdesq
mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney