How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40

Customer Question

I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40 yrs, we divorced. He passed in 2007 the same year I remarried. I am collecting my S.S. at this time & I'm 73 yrs. old. I was told it's possible to get more benefits from my divorced/deceased husband.
I've never changed my previous name & my present husband & I have separate accounts. IE: bills, banking, ss, If I can receive more benefits, it'll help with my income & bills. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon,

I will try to best answer your question. If you were married for more than 10 years, you have the option of having your Social Security based upon your earnings or 1/2 of the amount of your prior husbands Social Security amount. You are entitled to select whichever one is larger.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with the situation.

Related Family Law Questions