How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16377
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a divorce and was -ploar my lawyer did not give me all

Customer Question

I got a divorce and was bi-ploar my lawyer did not give me all the facts about my exhusband assets. He just got the divorce. My psyct. said that someone should have been with me when i sigened the papers.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


You should contact a new attorney who specializes in setting aside already completed divorce settlements and judgments based upon the grounds of mental incompetence of the parties to the agreement and hiding of assets by the former spouse. The court will hear your motion to reopen the matter so long as your psychiatrist will testify that you were not competent to review the terms of the agreement and make a valid judgment regarding whether or not to agree to the terms as they were written or to seek changes to the documents.

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

In addition to setting aside the settlement agreement -- a new attorney can also review everything for you to determine whether or not you might have a lawsuit against your former attorney who seemed to be incompetent and who let you sign the settlement agreement paperwork without properly reviewing all assets held by your ex husand that he (the lawyer) was aware of at the time you were being pushed to sign the agreement by your then attorney. To find another local attorney you should contact the local county bar association in your county and ask for referrals to several attorneys in your area who can handle the matter.


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating in the ratings section above this box (the middle or the fourth or the fifth star) so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight. THANK YOU

Related Family Law Questions