P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Can I be sued two months after it has been terminated

Customer Question

Can I be sued for childsupport two months after it has been terminated
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Sorry...do you mean can they ask the court to reorder support? Or are you asking about the ability to recoup money not paid during the support period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they reorder support
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

depends.

Can you give some context

1. What state is this in?

2. Why was the support terminated?

3. What is the reason for restart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Florida child turn 18 mother is suing me for support until the child graduates on June 2016 my termination date was back in July of 2006 for June/11/2015
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Ahh...thanks

FL law allows support until the child graduates high school.

So this is possible...that is, it is possible for the court to order continued support (to recommence the support order) if the child is still in high school

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that it is not possible to restart support but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.