How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the basic necessities that child support should

Customer Question

What are the basic necessities that child support should cover for a divorce filed in the state of CT? My ex-wife keeps hitting me up for extra money to cover clothes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There really aren't any laws about what child support needs to cover, but the parent who receive support is expected to pay for the child's needs with it: food, shelter, child care, clothing, etc. Unless the court order says so, you do not have any obligation to give a penny over and above the child support. It's up to the parent receiving support to determine how best to use that money to make sure the child is taken care of. When a child has extraordinary expenses and child support isn't enough, then it's up to the parent receiving support to go back to court and ask the judge for an increase.

Extraordinary might expenses include things like unexpected, required medical expenses, extra-curricular activities, private school tuition, and things like that. If the mother is receiving the amount of support the law says she's entitled to, it's hard to imagine how she'd convince the judge that she needs extra money to buy clothes. If it's been several years since the support order was entered, you might want to look at this calculator to see if a judge would likely order an increase if you went back to court. That could help you negotiate an agreement (if any change is necessary).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.