How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I adopted my Grandson in 2011, s biological

Customer Question

My husband and I adopted my Grandson in 2011, his biological father is now threatening to take us to court. His parental rights were were taken by a court in California. Should we retain an attorney for this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the father is my son and his parental rights were terminated by the courts in California. He is a violent offender. I am also worried that he will show up at his school and disappear with my grandson
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If the father actually follows through with the lawsuit, then you will want to get an attorney. However, so long as the court terminated the father's parental rights and granted you the adoption, there is no real legal threat from the father. Once the rights have been terminated and the adoption granted, the court will not reconsider the matter and the father is doing nothing but wasting the court's time, and you have nothing to fear as regards ***** ***** as the adoptive parents.

As for your concerns of your grandchild being abducted, the school needs to be made aware of your concerns that your child may be kidnapped so they do not release your child to anyone but you. And you might also notify local police of your concerns. However with nothing more than a threat of suit from the father, there is not sufficient legal basis to get a restraining order at this time.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Family Law Questions