How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27181
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court date scheduled which i may or may not be well

Customer Question

i have a court date scheduled for Wednesday which i may or may not be well enough to attend. I don't have attorney as I cant afford one because I havent been able to work due to a health issue. its about a bill i owe money to a divorce attorney I fired for not advising me in mediation as to what would of been a good deal ( in her professional opinion until we stopped mediation and where in the elevator heading out. I am very glad I found a new attorney who did things she should of done for me. I did not get the money to pay the first attorney when the judge made his ruling on it. this court date is for wage garnishment which right now I am not working as I am having major surgery to correct a condition Ive had that has prevented me from working.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. If you are not able to appear in court on Wednesday, you need to file a motion with the court, asking fora continuance. You need to show good cause and present a basis for it, which would allow the Judge to grant it. If it is a result of a health issue, you want to advise the court of the same and attach supporting documentation from your doctor, stating that you can not appear because of X, Y and Z. As such, you want to ask for the hearing to be reset. If you do not contact the court and file the motion and place everyone on notice, it would appear to the court that you are not interested in appearing and the garnishment will be granted. Of course, they can only garnish what you have and if you do not have anything and are not working, they would not take anything at this time. However, if and when you start working or have something to go after, they could take it when that happens.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions