How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to see my daughter who is 10 months old. Her

Customer Question

I am trying to see my daughter who is 10 months old. Her mother only allows me to see her at her convenience and only for an hour if that at a time. I wasn't there when she was born but I am here now and am being punished for my absence. I have no idea how to get started with mediation. I buy diapers, formula and clothes and ask her always what else does she need. Visitation and child support are two separate issue what are my rights as her father.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Can you tell me, are you currently on the birth certificate of the child?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure but I have done DNA and it was 99% positive. I an unable to pay any type of consultation fee or retainer I'm struggling to financially maintain currently but am seeking solid employment
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

The DNA test is not enough. You will need to hire an attorney and go to court and ask the court to order a DNA test be done. They will. And if the court ordered test shows you are the dad? The court will then order you be named on the birth certificate.

So you have to take this in order.

First, you need to hire a lawyer to file for paternity.

Then, after the tests prove paternity, you can ask the court to order visitation.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the 47 I just paid is all I have thank you
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome. Best of luck through this. And a gentle reminder to please rate / accept as that is the only way I may receive credit