How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a mother with full custody, receiving full child

Customer Question

Can a mother with full custody, receiving full child support, drop off and leave the child for a month without notice? If so do I not pay child support for the month and get to receive it from her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Dropping the child off with whom, exactly? Will the child be dropped off with the other parent or with someone else?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other parent. The one paying the full child support.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.


This is a bit of a complicated issue. If one parent has full custody, that parent is responsible for the care and maintenance of that child, or children. As far as simply dropping off that child with the other parent, that other parent has to consent, or it has to be so stated in the custodial order. If neither of those exist, the other parent can refuse, or can go to court and file for emergency sole custody, and use that as a basis to terminate the child support obligation. Until the order is terminated the duty to pay support still exists,however--the courts have to terminate before one parent can stop paying.


Dimitry, Esq.