How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son received a summons from the commonwealth of, stating

Customer Question

My son received a summons from the commonwealth of Virginia, stating Notice of Termination of Residual Parental Rights from his wife. She left a month ago with their 3 mo old daughter, to have some time apart and get themselves together, financially and emotionally. She told him she would be back in no longer than 6 months, but told us, the family, sooner than that because she couldn't stay gone that long. Anyway,,,he received these papers in the mail and we don't understand what they mean. They live here, visiting there. The papers say he has to appear in court there 11/18/2015 at 08:30am.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is staying with her dad and he is staying with us, so we can help them financially get on their feet.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The petition is to terminate the father's parental rights......which would end his rights to have access to the child, visit the child or claim that the child is his.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, this is a serious issue and he needs to consult a lawyer asap to respond to the petition in order to maintain his rights.