How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Benicia Baker-Livors Your Own Question
Benicia Baker-Livors
Benicia Baker-Livors, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36
Experience:  Managing member at Family Law Group
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Benicia Baker-Livors is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The information that I need can be from each state. I 't

Customer Question

The information that I need can be from each state. I don't need all the states, however it is in the field of the connection between the agency and the state, and not the contract between the agency and its clients.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that licensure usually ensures that the agency is not defrauding the clients, as well as making sure that the agency is doing its job. Your question would require a state by state research which is well beyond the scope of this basic question.

Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

If you find that I have answered your questions, please approve my answers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Benicia, I feel alittle beet misunderstood
I think that my question and explanations were clear but somehow you missed my point.
Whould you mind transfering my question to another expert ?
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

I read your prior questions on this issue and the response from another expert, Eli. I have taken a lot of time trying to understand how we are communicating ineffectively because this is absolutely my area of practice and I know this area of law well. In reading your questions and answers with Ely I noticed you asked him about whether states were required to provide post-placement services like counseling and financial support and with that additional explanation I think I see where we are separate.

In the US there are TWO ways to do a domestic (as opposed to international adoption). In a private placement adoption (which is what I have been answering your questions thinking about) a private mom and or dad or same gender couple or single parent seeks to adopt a child from a birth mother and often uses a private placement agency. There are NO provisions for counseling or support whatsoever for these types of adoptions. The only support, per se, is in the form of tax breaks and tax incentives to encourage adoption.

Once I saw you mention counseling, etc. I started thinking you might be talking about state sponsored adoptions. These are done when a child is brought into state custody because of abuse, neglect, or abandonment. The child is usually placed with a foster parent until the child is adopted OR reunited with family of origin. The foster parent is NOT always the adopting parent.

These adoptive parents, the ones who take a child that is in the system, get all sorts of support. However, in most states the STATE is the adoption agency UNLESS the state has a subcontract with a private agency to pick up the work load. Those private agencies need to keep their license valid to continue as a subcontractor. Usually, post-placement support (in Missouri it can be called a "relative subsidy") is provided by Children's Division and they pay for counseling from a LCSW type and give welfare type assistance for encouraging adoption (especially adoption of a related child who was abandoned).

To my knowledge (and I looked) Missouri does not require the agency to do these things because those things are done directly by the state.

Keep in mind, this is now a state by state question and Missouri may be very different than California as to allocation of support post-placement.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this ďoes help !!
thanks !!So, "welfare adoptee" is different from "private adoptee", that what you sre saying ?
If so - is there a NECESSARY conection between the "welfare adoptee" and the authorities after the order of adoption issued ? Does the welfare services force the adoptive parents to use support ? Is there any follow up or supervision to check the wellbeing of the adoptee ?
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

That is correct. With a welfare adoptee, there usually isn't a requirement for post-placement services unless a child needs it. Examples are a child who needs mental health services or a parent who received federal or state subsidized adoption services due to low income. Those people might qualify to continue to receive stipends (like an allowance but it is a small amount given the child's expenses per month). Usually, no follow up. An exception might be if the child keeps getting services like therapy and the therapist hotlines new events that come up in therapy against either biopparents or new parents. Then the system starts all over again depending on who the offender is.

Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

Can you say that you are satisfied with this answer now? I believe I went above and beyond to try to help you on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Benicia, now I'm satisfied with the answer. I appreciate your efforts very much!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In which states are there agencies that are subcontractor of the state ?
Where can I find the arrangments/conrtact between them and the state ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Benicia
I' m waitimg to your answer.And one more question - when post adoption support is given by the state - is there a list of those services in any LAW or REGULATIONS ?
Can I have examples ?
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

You usually can't find specific examples online or anything. You would have to make requests under the Sunshine Act for example.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i make such a request ?and - my previous question - which state provides post adoption services to welfare adoptees and their families by subcontractor agencies ?
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

Answering your question as which states provide such services goes well beyond your original question fees and rates and will require substantial research and time since I would have to research each state. I can get you information on making a Sunshine request for Missouri as a separate issue as well, if you want to make that transaction but I am not sure if that is what you want to do. If I recall, this is for a thesis paper so you will have to show your research along the way on tracking what each state does. I can tell you that I do this for a living in Missouri and I understand this issue well and it would take me probably a good 10 plus hours to answer your question for each state and that is a minimum estimate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i understand.
what would you suggest ?
i dont need all the states, just one that provides the services directly by the state and one that use subcontract agencies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my goal is to show the legal and formal regulation refering to the period after the order of adoption, as a part of the responsibility of the state for eelfare adoptees and adoptive families.
In Israel the law of adoption is silent concerning this period.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I have been in trial the last two days and not online. I sent you a rate proposal to do additional work for you. I cant write your thesis for you. Given your last stated goal, I am not sure your question, as framed, provides those explanations. I know it is difficult for international lawyers and students to comprehend our judicial system. Adoptions are usually controlled by the individual states so there will be 50 states plus DC and Puerto Rico and the Us Virgin Islands to read, analyze, and compare.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Benicia
Thank you very much for your answers and efforts. I apreciate that.