How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19281
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I receive credit I have paid toward the care of my

Customer Question

Can I receive credit for money I have paid toward the care of my children and essentially cancel out or reduce the family support obligation. Basically, I have calculated that I have "overpaid" my family allotment (obligation sunsets December 1), so I have stopped the monthly payments ahead of schedule
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You cannot stop your Court ordered payments without a Court Order. Otherwise, you would be found in contempt of Court. If you think you have overpaid, you need to bring the matter in front of the Court by filing a Motion and letting the Court decide. You can obtain blank Motion form at the Courthouse in the Clerk’s office or you can obtain forms at the Courts’ web site: