How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A guardian ad litem was appointed grandchildren and did a

Customer Question

A guardian ad litem was appointed for my grandchildren and did a terrible injustice to my grandchildren. I'm not sure how she even has a license to practice. Now she is wanting the balance of her money paid which wasn't even proposed pre appointment. She did not take into consideration the children's thoughts and did not include anything that my daughter told her about the children's father. Instead her comment was 'just be thankful that you have an ex who wants to see his kids, mine doesn't want anything to do with his kids'. The report is so bad that I don't have enough time to go into all the details at this time. We live in the state of PA.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What rights does my daughter have as far as getting this report voided and not paying the balance due to this gal?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

There is no "right" to do that. However, she can certainly challenge both the report and the amount charged through the court.

I can't offer any input as to what reasons she could use for challenging the report since I'm not familiar with all of the facts of the case but often these reports are challenged based on the ad litem's failure to fully investigate, failure to do proper interviews, lack of training in the area, etc.

As to challenging the amount of the bill, that has to be done through a motion to the court but the challenge has to be based on the amount charged being unreasonable or unnecessary. Since the court is the one that appointed the ad litem there is no question that they are going to be paid something at some point, so the issue then becomes how much and when. Also, the fact that she disagrees with the ad litem's report or doesn't like it is not going to be a reason to challenge the paying of the fee and even raising that as a justification would not be a good idea. Instead she would want to ask for an itemized accounting of the time and billing and then attempt to find issues with those.