How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16628
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know if someone can help me file a malpractice

Customer Question

I need to know if someone can help me file a malpractice suit against my vet .I took my 3.5lb Chihuahua to get his teeth cleaned while doing this he broke my dogs jaw. Since then he has removed the whole right jaw bone. I was told when he pulled a rear canine it broke in two and when extracting the 2nd piece that's when the jaw broke and I believe that's when all his teeth fell out. I was given 1/2 off the bill and haven't had to pay for all the charges but I've paid over $800.00, and now my dog has to eat watered down baby food. He should never have made a move without asking me. My dog has one tooth left in his head. I don't think he should be allowed to get away with this because he has taken years off my dogs life. Please help me or advise me who can. Dr. Peralto at Cornell University Vet School%
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, under the law, dogs and other pets are treated as chatels or things and that is why attorneys would not be able to pursue a veterinarian malpractice lawsuit, as the damages could only be limited to the replacement cost of the dog or for the reasonable cost of any veterinary treatment required as the result of the malpractice, but no punitive or other non-actual damages would be allowed and that is why there is simply no way to recover compensation which would justify filing a lawsuit.

So, the other option generally would be to file a complaint against this doctor with the state Veterinary Board and also with the local Better Business Bureau.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions