Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need some advice, somebody I know got pregnant at the age

Customer Question
of 15 & the babies...
I need some advice, somebody I know got pregnant at the age of 15 & the babies father is 20. The girl lied about her age, but now DHR is involved and is investigating. They have no proof of who the father is though. But if they get proof what can happen? Can this be avoided by marriage? The guy really wants to be there for the girl and the baby. He also knows and understands that the girl and baby are going to need help. We have all been doing research and they can marry in Tennessee, but is this the way to go?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/6/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While a pre-natal DNA test is possible, she would have to consent to it. Without a DNA test, the DA would not know 100% if the baby is the father's or not, but they only need prima facie (on the face, at first glance) evidence to bring a criminal charge, so the simple suspicion may be enough.

Age of consent in TN is 18. There is a close age exception of a 13 year old who can consent to sex with someone who is less than 4 years older. However, if she was 15 and he was 20, then the close age exemption does not apply.

As such, if father impregnated mother, then by that very fact, he can be charged criminally. DHR will do an investigation on the alleged abuse of the female by the male.

If she turn 16, and can get married to the father (she would need her parents' consent), then it is much less likely that he would be criminally charged. There is really no other way to minimize his criminal culpability. He would technically still possibly be criminally liable, however, the DA is less likely to charge him if they are married.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law