How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the USA. I recently married a man who lives in

Customer Question

I live in the USA. I recently married a man who lives in Guyana. I would like an anulment/divorce. How would I go about doing that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

I need to know whether you were married in us state or Guyana?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Married in Guyana
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

If both of you are living in the US you can file for annulment or divorce in the state in which you last resided together. If he is Guyana you would have to file for the divorce or annulment there. Annulments are difficult to obtain as a require the proof of an issue of fraud at time of marriage. Examples of fraud can be the person was already married, lied about the ability to have children, or other substantially that induced you to get married and was reasonably relied upon. Annulments are very rare as most people just do not have the facts to support them. A divorce by is a proper method to dissolve the marriage in the event of irretrievable breakdown or marital misconduct.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will call later
Thank you
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome