How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27593
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a resident of Louisiana and was seeing a lady some while

Customer Question

I'm a resident of Louisiana and was seeing a young lady some while back who gave birth to a child that is now about roughly 18 months of age. She said the father of the child was another man, whom also signed the birth certificate. Now at this point in time she is saying that the child is not his and this person has done a DNA test, now that I've since moved on with my life. I'm curious to know how to approach this matter. What are my rights? Can she make me pay support? Can she legally do anything to me since someone else assumed the responsibility especially with them signing the birth certificate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You have no legal obligation to submit to any DNA, absent a court order, which says otherwise. You do not even need to speak with this women either but that is at your sole discretion. At this point, she likely could not come back and go after you for any back support. The reason I say this is because she said the father was another man, had him sign the birth certificate, he likely supported and was responsible for this child over the years and she never made any attempt to find you until now or go after you.As such, it is highly unlikely that if she even tried to obtain support, that it would be ordered, as the child is not an adult. Of course, if you want to know the truth, you could submit to the DNA and establish a relationship with the child if you desire but you do not have to do anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well to my understanding, the other guy was placed on child support, but never paid it as he felt the child was never his after hearing things around town. So I'm just not sure how to go about this from here. She is threatening to have the courts make me submit to a DNA test, and even if the child is mine how could she come at me for support after someone else is on the birth certificate and took that responsibility?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear back from you. He needed to contest this if he thought the child was not his and he should have done it, once the mom sought support from him. At this point, you need to wait for her to take action. As I shared, even if she does, the time may have run or her actions over the years may prevent her from getting anything to you. I do not think the Judge would first order you to pay any support at this time nor do I think she may have grounds to ask for a DNA test after all this time, for the sole purpose of trying to get support, which someone else was ordered to pay and has not. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions