How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is the non-custodial parent (IL) obligated to inform IL

Customer Question

Is the non-custodial parent (IL) obligated to inform IL Child Support System when he accepts a new position? Is the Non-custodial parent obligated to tell me where his employment is? Or do I have to wait until the employer reports the information and the information is sent to the state? It seems like there is a long waiting period between payments when the non-custodial parent accepts a new position (which is often). I asked for an update on the employer, but there is no cooperation. Is there any recourse on my end?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The non-custodial parent refuses to provide his current address. The non-custodial parent refused to take the kids to their recreation activities on his visitation weekend. Visitation is one weekend a month. He was recently arrested for driving on a suspended license and missing his court date. I would ultimately like to have his visitation right relinquished due to living a unstable life which impacts the kids mental and emotional state of well being. What can I do to prove his unwilling to cooperate or communicate proper information to me?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your ex is supposed to notify IL Child Support Services of any changes in his employment, penalties for failure to report are almost non-existent and rarely enforced. Instead the state depends on new employers complying with the reporting laws. Your ex does not have a legal obligation to provide you with any information concerning any new employer that he might have or with any information about his present employment.

Under IL law, all employers are legally obligated to report all new employee hires to the state. See this site:

No law requires that your ex communicate with you and in fact, no law requires that he take the children for his visitation periods. However, if he is routinely not exercising his parenting time, you may petition the court to modify custody, to limit his visitation periods and increase the support that he is ordered to pay.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,