How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that Cps has come in and taken her children

Customer Question

I have a friend that Cps has come in and taken her children out of her home . A gun went off accidently so they thought their home was not safe. Actually she is a very good mother and the parenting class counselor has also said this. Here is the problem. the CPS worker has contacted the dads and now they have gotten a joint attorney to represent them and give them custody of the kids. Kids range from 8 to 15 years in age. Neither dad has ever been very much a part of the kids lives. CPS is no longer involved and the mom cannot afford an attorney. She is totally tramatized by the loss of her children, and can barely function. She does not drink does not do drugs , and normally is totally competent.. Could I have some advice as how to best help her. I cannot afford to pay an attorney either. But would move mountains to help her if I could . This goes in front of a court referee Wednes. the 7 th of October. Please help us. Thank you in advance for anything you can do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, this is the problem with CPS they act on a bias that they form about the parent and when they do so, they take it out on the parent. If CPS got an attorney involved and gave the dads the custody of the children, then CPS is still involved and the only way for her to get the children back is to file a motion for return of the children in the court. She is going to have to have the parenting counselor come to court and testify in her behalf and that is the only way you can help her, get her to legal aid and also call the state bar for her and try to get her at least a low cost or pro bono attorney to represent her to get to court to recover the children, that is the sole legal option in this type of situation.