Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If my son's biological father is not listed on s birth

Customer Question
If my son's biological father...
If my son's biological father is not listed on his birth certificate, do I still have to have his consent for my husband to adopt my son?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/4/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, you would need the father's consent to terminate his parental rights OR you would have to file an action for adoption and to terminate his rights and have him served as a defendant to the case.

Either way, the father is entitled to due process of law and that can't be taken away by you......but he can waive his rights by signing a waiver once the adoption is filed.

Roger, Attorney