How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about making my 77 yr. old sister (mentally ill)

Customer Question

How do I go about making my 77 yr. old sister (mentally ill) a ward of the state of CA?? I am now 80 myself. I take care of her finances -- but I can no longer handle moving her from one home to another - and in/out of behavioral centers. I live in MN in summer, and AZ in the winter. She lives in CA. I cannot handle this stress any longer. Where do I start??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon,

I will try to best answer your question.

I would recommend terminateing your po as for your sister. I would then contact the office of the age for her County to advise of situation and need for care. Once you terminate poas it will force state to act aND take her as award.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not satisfied at all. I already knew this and paid to receive more detailed and explicit legal information. This advice had little or no value for me.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

That fine. I will opt out so someone can better answer your question.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are the PoA only for your sister and you are not able to care for her and she cannot care for herself, then you can contact Adult Protection Services in CA,

APS will investigate and will determine whether or not she is able to care for herself. If she cannot care for herself and they find that she cannot do so, then they will take over her care and will put her into a care program managed by the states.

You do not have to take over all of her care and you are not under any legal duty to do so, you would have to contact APS though and they have to start an investigation to take over her care and make her a ward of the state.