How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29816
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 18 yr old child in the state of Alabama how am I

Customer Question

I have a 18 yr old child in the state of Alabama how long am I financially responsible for her if she doesn't live in my home but she is still in high school
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The age of majority in Alabama is 19. That means parents are responsible for their children until their 19th birthdays. Ala. Code, Section 26-1-1. If your child is a ward of the state, the state can seek financial contribution from you until that time (at which point they'd release her).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if we cut her off finicially what would happen
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The state could get a judgment against you for support, and that could appear on your credit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would be arrested for child neglect this child does not care about our family
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If she's in a youth home due to behavioral issues, it's not likely they would prosecute you for child neglect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has hit me in my home but its her word against mine no one else home at time what do i need to do i dont want to support someone that doesn't care about us
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

That's awful. I'm sorry to hear that. You could press charges against her.

The only way to terminate your legal obligation to support her until her next birthday is ***** file to have her emancipated. However, that requires a showing that she is able to support herself through a job. If she's receiving support from the state, even though your feelings are 100% understandable, you are still legally obligated to support her.