How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son is divorced & lost s job last August. He is

Customer Question

Our son is divorced & lost his job last August. He is representing himself because he has very limited funds. The court is in IL, we are moving to FL & he is moving with us as he has started his own business & needs financial support while his business
is growing to produce income. Can he request telephone conversations with Judge during court proceedings rather than "in person" court appearances? Also does the court automatically notify him of any future court dates or is this information available online?
Since he is without funds, how can the court require him to pay child support when his unemployment has run out & he has no income? Why does the court require back child support when his ex is making 6 figures and can easily support the children during this
period of growing his business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've been waiting 2 days-certainly not 8 minutes-should we restate the question or is there now answer?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I apologize you have waited so long for a response. The question must have gotten lost in the mix of questions. I am just now seeing this.

Yes. I suggest he can make request to attend via video/teleconferencing since he will be in Florida. Keep in mind, the court is not legally bound to grant it. Also, there is going to be a fee to have this service and if the court grants it, he would be accessed the cost.

The court will send out court hearing dates to each party one time. Therefore, he should be sure to update his new address with the clerk of the court because it might not be forwarded. Cook County has a judiciary case search and if the matter is pending in Cook County, he can obtain information online.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Each parent if legally financially responsible for their children until the age of emancipation, which is generally age 19 now.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

And so there are guidelines that the court uses to compute how much each parent owes. If a parent is not employed, the court will evaluate the type of education, skills, work history and prior wages to determine how much "earning potential" a parent has. And they will simply make up a number the court feels he should be earning and that income will go into the worksheet for the guidelines.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Here is a LINK to the law so you can read more about the Child Support law.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

As you will read, the law is for the best interests of the child.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you