Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm try to construct a letter to court regarding a family

Customer Question
Hello. I'm try to construct...
Hello. I'm try to construct a letter to court regarding a family court case. Mom needs me to enlighten the court to my knowledge of the children's father's use of heroin. Over a year ago I was in a relationship with the father and found out he was using heroin. I got him into an addiction specialist right away and he under went chemical treatment for his addiction and became clean. He didn't address the mental/behavioral component of addiction so it came to no surprise to me that he had eventually found his way back to heroin. His inability to function leading a sober lifestyle was why I ended the relationship. I've had no contact with him since I left, but more importantly his ex is trying her hardest to protect her children from someone who does not exercise or recognize good jusdgement. I am willing to help her, I just have no idea how to accomplish this. The father has an established history of domestic violence and assault charges and there is a certain level of fear I have, but in my heart I worry for the kids. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

The best way for you to help the mother is to appear in court personally and testify as to things you personally observed: when you saw the father using heroin, how he behaved, how the drug changed him, how frequent the use was. It would also help to detail the events that lead to the domestic violence and assault charges. The mother should be able to get police reports and court records to introduce into evidence without your help. But what the judge wants to know is what you experienced - things you saw, heard, experienced. If you don't remember the answer to a question, it's better to say so than to guess. You can explain what caused you to end the relationship, including his behavior after getting treatment. All of that stuff is relevant to his ability to raise a child.

If you're not able to testify, or she's not asking you to do that at this point, you can put it all in writing. Chronological order is usually best. Just say what you remember. Paint a picture of your experiences. The letter should be signed in front of a notary, who can verify your signature under oath. Your own words are really more powerful than anyone else telling you what to say - it'll be more raw, more honest that way.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer