How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I suspect that a family member of 18 years of age is

Customer Question

If I suspect that a family member of 18 years of age is suffering abuse by way of isolation from a parental figure is there any legal action I can take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, how is that person being abused? Also, is this person still in high school or has that person graduated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person I am concerned about has not graduated high school, rather is looking to obtain a GED as they were home-schooled. The abuse constitutes as isolation from family members by ways of not disclosing location, removal of contact by means of email, phone, and written letters, as well as hindering attempted contact.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.


Here is the issue as I see it. If this person is a legal adult, that is, he or she is over the age of 18, that person has the power to either associate or not be associated with others. While this may be 'abuse', since the 18 year old does not have to reside with them, and that person arguably can make their own decisions, this is not really a violation. Now, if this person is actually kidnapped, that is one thing, but beyond that point the courts won't be able to help because of the age of the potential victim.


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Family Law Questions