How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To: Socrateaser, The court ordered my ex to pay spousal

Customer Question

To: ***** ***** court ordered my ex to pay spousal support, I receive the payments directly from her, but often she decideds not to pay or not to pay on or near the specified date. What can I do to ensure I receive the payments in a timely manner.
The payments are for spousal and child support. Would it be better to have the court order her to pay through the county court system. What can I do to ensure I receive the payments in a timely manner, and not some BS stoey about not having the mony at tthe
time, and THEN go off on a trip to Nigeria for 2 weeks or so, to spend money on relatives and friends there, and often bring them back as visitors who never return. I have tried to be nice; not argue abot it because of our special needs adult son, but this
has happened to often and often a payment is missing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If the order is for both spousal and child support, then you can either apply for services with county DCSS and the agency can enforce payment via the State Distribution Unit (SDU). You can also issue your own child support order to the employer: (FL-195). Your family court facilirator's office should have a workshop where the facilitator will assist you in filling out the form and getting it signed by the judge. If not, let me know, and I can walk you through the process via an additional services offer.

However, if the other parent is self employed or controls their receipt of earned income, then your only resource to prevent further delays in payment is to file an order to show cause and affidavit of contempt (FL-410; FL-411) and have the court sanction the other parent so that she does not continue to abuse the system.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!