Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am taking good care of my boyfriends mother because she

Customer Question

I am taking good care of my boyfriends mother because she had cancer and I was in my workers compensation,can they revoke my greencard for that?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Could you explain a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in my worker's compensation when i helped my boyfriend to take good care of his mom with cancer.she passed away already and his sister will report me to the board of worker's compensation so that my greencard will be revoked.I am not allowed to work at that time.but there was no payment involved.I did it out of love.can they revoked my greencard out of that?

Thank you for the information.

Your Green Card can be revoked for benefits fraud. However, you MUST be accorded due process before that can happen. Your Green Card cannot be revoked just because your boyfriend’s sister reported you to Worker’s Compensation Board because you helped your boyfriend take care of his mother. However, if you are reported to the Worker's Compensation Board, the Board may investigate you and may ask you to pay back the money that you received as your worker's compensation benefits if evidence shows that you should have been working when you were collecting worker's compensation benefits. Also, the Board may refer your case to the prosecutor for benefits fraud. If you are prosecuted and convicted, then the prosecutor may alert immigration. Immigration may then deport you. If you are not deported, any conviction for benefits fraud would impact your chances of being naturalized.

May I ask why your boyfriend's sister wants to report you for helping to care for her mother?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont received money from her.it was just an act of love because we lived together in one house.i was just helping her arround.there was no payment.because im on my workers compensation.

I was just asking why your boyfriend's sister would want to report you to immigration for helping care for her own mother. Anyway, your answer does not change my answer. I just wanted to know because I find it quite odd that she would want to get you in trouble for helping her mother.

My answer remains the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My boyfriend contested the will.thats why she was mad for both of us too.

I see. However, that is a terrible thing for her to do, if she goes through with her threat. In any event, my answer remains the same.

Best wishes,

Kindly give a positive rating to my answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you.