How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

3 years ago I had a open dcfs case filed against me. Which

Customer Question

3 years ago I had a open dcfs case filed against me. Which involved my son, who was 3 at the time. I decided to sign my rights over to the father. He now has full custody. I signed them over because I was afraid our son would go into foster care.
I was also found quilty of " neglect ". Not providing a safe environment for my son because he feel down the stairs in our apartment building. I am currently on a 5 yr registry till I am 30. I am 27. Will be 28in Nov.
My question is , I am currently in a different relationship and expecting a child. Will my child be taken from me once it's born?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My case is closed. However, I'm aware that doesn't matter. Open or closed a child or unborn child can still be removed.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, your other child will not be taken from you. But DCFS can, and probably will, maintain closer vigilance over you. To take your child they need proof of neglect or abuse or any other unfitness, not simply because of your past history. This means that you would need to cooperate with DCFS if they choose to get involved, and not give them cause, as they then cannot remove the child from you.


Dimitry, Esq.