How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just need direction here. need to find information about

Customer Question

i just need direction here. need to find information about montana law regarding court-appointed family counseling where a juvenile (14 yrs. old) and the divorced parents are involved. mother needs to petition the court all by herself for this since she can't afford a lawyer. the judge has told her that she must cite historical precedence cases where this has happened when she petitions the court to order this. (she already tried once.) where is this "historical precedence" information?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

THE REASON THE COURT APPEARS TO be asking you for historical precedence is because it probably knows that it does not exist. Under MT law, it appears that there is a way to get court-ordered family counseling before a divorce order is actually signed but not necessarily AFTERWARDS. See the law below:

Montana Code Annotated § 40-4-226.

40-4-226. Court-sanctioned educational program on effects of dissolution of marriage on children. (1) In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage involving a minor child or in a parenting plan proceeding involving a minor child, a court shall inform the parties, excluding the minor child, of available educational programs concerning the effects of dissolution of marriage on children and, if the court finds that it would be in the best interest of the minor child, shall order the parties to attend a court-sanctioned program. The program may be divided into sessions. The program must be educational in nature and may not be designed for individual therapy.
(2) The cost of implementing the court-sanctioned educational program for each district court, provided for in subsection (1), must be paid from the fees for filing petitions for contested amendment of a parenting plan, provided for in 25-1-201(9). Costs may include parenting evaluation and guardian ad litem services.

I did not find any historical precedent or case law as it is normally referred to that says the court can order family counseling in MT after the divorce.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.