How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about child support. I'm remarried and my

Customer Question

Hi. I have a question about child support. I'm remarried and my wife doesn't work because we have a baby and she is going through panic/exiety attacks. I have 3 kids with my first wife and pay 900 a month in which I have my 3 kids 7 days nights a Month. My wife thinks that can be lowered cause we are under financial stress and my ex wife and her new husband are well off and make 2/3rd more then me. Oh I also support my current wife's 2 kids as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Either parent can request a cost of living adjustment to child support every three years (which usually results in an increase) or can seek a decrease where there has been a material change in circumstances. However, your ex-wife's new husband has no legal obligation to support the children she had with you, so his income cannot be used to decrease you obligation. The judge can only consider to what extent the husband's contributions toward rent may increase your wife's available income.

Similarly, you have no legal obligation to support your new wife's children. It's good of you to do so, but your voluntary choice to make that gift to your wife and her kids cannot be used to reduce your child support obligation to your kids. However, you may be able to use your obligation to your new child to reduce the obligations to your older children, since you are legally obligated to pay for the baby.

Run the calculator to see how much you might be ordered to pay based on your current income and your ex-wife's current income. If it's substantially less than what you're paying now, you may be able to get a change. If it's more than you're paying now, and you request a decrease, you should know that the judge can actually increase your payments.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions