How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When i received social security i told them i was still

Customer Question

when i received social security i told them i was still married but separated or 24 years and that i had two children from another relationship they granted my two young boys benefits from me. recently, my former partner claimed spousal benefits and ssi administration is withdrawing benefits to my boys. is that legal
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

No that is not legal. Your children are receiving what is called a derivative benefit. There amount should not be offset to pay separateday spouse. You should contact SS immediately to correct.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.