How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31789
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To avoid probate and avoid the cost of creating a legal

Customer Question

To avoid probate and avoid the cost of creating a legal revocable trust, my father would like to use a payment on death or a transfer on death form to transfer his real estate assets and other assets to his financial power of attorney. are those forms available online?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In regard to his real estate assets, your dad will have to issue a deed from himself to himself and his child/children/beneficiaries as JOINT TENANTS WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP......that is the way property is transferred immediately upon death. I'm sure there are sample deeds online to this affect.

As for any other assets or property, the institutions who administer the accounts will have forms that he can use to make the accounts payable upon death. For example, if he has a checking account, savings account, IRA, or other type of account, he would need to check with each of the banks/companies and make sure that each account has a named survivor and that it is payable upon death to that survivor.