How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a court order that mother have no contact with

Customer Question

Hi there. There is a court order that mother have no contact with minor. That minor just turned 18. Is there anything to be done at the courthouse to close the case or does it automatically close at 18 and mother can now have contact. This is in California.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

At age 18 the minor becomes an adult and as such they can determine who they want to be around and in that regard, the order would need to then be renewed by the 18 year old as an adult. I suggest, however, you will want to file a Motion to Terminate/Vacate the order with the court so that if it is in a law enforcement database it is then removed.

You can check with the clerk of the court to see if there are forms. If not, then you need a local attorney to draft that for you.

Related Family Law Questions