How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I feel that my Lawyer, the Judge, and Law Guardian have been

Customer Question

Hello, I feel that my Lawyer, the Judge, and Law Guardian have been unethical. I would like to know what I should do at this point.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Before you go off making any complaints, you need to sit with your attorney and get the full and clear explanation of what happened and also ask him for copies of any documents relative to this issue. If you find that your attorney did not represent your best interests in this matter or was negligent in handling your case, you need to first take your case file to another local attorney for a review (as it makes no sense to waste your time filing complaints if there is insufficient evidence in the file to make a complaint). If you get your case files reviewed and the attorney finds inappropriate conduct by your attorney or Law Guardian, then you can file a complaint with the State Bar office of disciplinary counsel. The attorney can also file a motion to recuse the judge based on the bias he expressed against you and that would be heard by the other judges in the court if he refuses to step down from the case.

These are your options, as well as possibly suing your attorney for malpractice if the other attorney finds negligence in how your case was handled to recover any costs of damages his negligence caused you. However, to have any success it is essential you have another local attorney review the case file to make a proper determination first, because filing complaints without that evidence and information only leads to them being dismissed and can cause more frustration on your situation.