How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mkc1959 Your Own Question
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 616
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mkc1959 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a foreigner and need to divorce my American wife. What

Customer Question

I am a foreigner and need to divorce my American wife. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

Are there any minor children? Does your wife live in California?

Please do not rate this answer yet. I am simply trying to get a few details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are no minors involved and my wife I think still lives in California. She changed all her numbers and I can't get hold of her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Are you there?
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

you can file for divorce in the Superior Court in the District where you live or where your wife lives. The Court system provides a good reference site at: It does not matter that you are a foreigner. Please let me know what additional questions you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My challenge is that I visit in now and I don't have residence duration required and yet I can't find my wife so I use her residence either. What can I do about the residence requirement?
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

Okay. You can consult with a private investigator who can perform what is referred to as a "skip trace." The skip trace is designed to find the present residence address for someone. You will need to provide the private investigator with all the information you can about your wife, including social security number, driver license number, relatives, age, date of birth and employment.

Once you locate your wife, then you can file suit in the proper court and allege the necessary residency requirements.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Related Family Law Questions