How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Voluntary placement of children in state. Do the parents

Customer Question

Voluntary placement of children in Washington state. Do the parents need to sign paperwork? Can they be denied visitation after placement is made? Can the non parental caregiver get temporary custody without the parents being notified?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) Parents do not need to sign/agree for children to be taken away. Only the Judge;

2) Visitation may be denied unless it is specifically allowed in the temporary court orders. If no visitation is allowed, it may be denied, but at the same time, the parents can file to request visitation.

3) The non-parental caregiver can be given custody by the Court, temporarily, even without notification. How does this happen? Likely, CPS filed an ex parte emergency order. The order may be granted without all parties served if the Court feels circumstances are dire enough. If so, then the matter is REHEARD a few days/weeks later once the parties are served (where the emergency custody may be voided, modified, or upheld), and finally again reheard at trial months down the line.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!