How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2430
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i have to appear at court do i have to pay to go to court

Customer Question

If i have to appear at court for divorce do i have to pay to go to court if in not using an attorney
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband who is divorcing me.. says that fee is for attorneys only...but i tried to get the fee waived but they said i make to much at the disability office.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Appearing in court does not cost money, but there are filing fees for certain documents. To qualify for a fee waiver, you either have to be on government assistance, receive 125% of the federal poverty level in income, or convince the court that you cannot afford to pay the filing fee. May I ask what your income is? And which form are you wishing to file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband filed for divorce..i was told i had to respond and pay court in ssdi 1770 per month. We have reached a settlement between the two of us. He has an attorney. I do not as if yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats my question to you what form am i suppose to be filing that i have to pay to make an appearace at court and I'm being divorced
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

The filing fee depends on the county you are in but it is usually a few hundred dollars. You can contact your county court here. Attached are the instructions for responding to the divorce. You earn a few hundred dollars more per month than the 125% limit for a family of one ($1226). You might still be; able get a fee waiver if you: 1) receive food stamps or 2) can convince the court that the money you receive is not enough to pay the fees or 3) there are more people in your family unit. But yes, the filing fee applies whether you have a lawyer or not.

Related Family Law Questions