How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19492
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a school teacher and I believe a parent is harassing me.

Customer Question

I'm a school teacher and I believe a parent is harassing me. What rights do I have? It started when I told her child she could not bring a toy to school. This parent began calling other teachers and parents and telling them lies about me. She has said all of my students grades are failing, that I'm a terrible teacher, I yell at the students and so. None of these are true. She has also posted on Facebook comments about me. Although she did not mention my name on Facebook it was obvious who she was referring to and parents began calling the school and I was called into the principals office about it. She even told one parent she was going to come up to the school everyday until she had enough dirt on me to go to the principal. Which she did. I would see her standing in the halls watching in the mornings. She recently went to my principal with three pages of "concerns" or lies. Every day I'm on morning duty she is there to stare me down. I received a note from her on Thursday asking why I didn't send home a copy of some work she asked for. She then asked if I had a problem with her or if she needed to come up to the school. I've asked several times to have the child removed from my class, but they won't move her. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

At this time, you need to get a local Attorney who handles employment and school issues to assist you in forcing the school to treat your case very seriously and to protect your rights as a teacher. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

The school is NOT supposed to let a parent mistreat a teacher this way. The parent should not be allowed to come to the school on a daily basis to find faults with you.

There are two issues here: (1) the way the school has mishandled/mishandling the issues; (2) the parent’s dissemination of false information about you to the public. In issue (1), lawsuit can be filed against the school for not protecting you. In issue (2), a defamation lawsuit can be filed against the parent. However, in order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (spreading of rumors, postings on social media, making false accusation); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case

Click here to find Civil Rights Attorneys in your area:

Civil Rights Lawyers