How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34729
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need information on rights with diabetes (Type 1) in a

Customer Question

Need information on rights for child with diabetes (Type 1) in a custody situation. Father is unable to properly manage the child's diabetic needs in his home. He tries to convince those who will listen that the mother is "hyper-vigilant" and therefore is crazy. As a mother of a diabetic myself, I would have to say that most parents of diabetics would fall into the vigilant range.
All efforts to get someone to listen and help have been in vain. DHS, GAL and Parent Coordinator have been misinformed by father and do not investigate facts but make decisions based on hearsay.
In May 2015 based on GAL recommendation, father was granted 50/50 visitation. This meant weeklong visits versus weekend visits. There have been 3 occasions since May that the child returned from visiting father with her pump port site unchanged (should be done every 3 days). The skin around and beneath port site is red, swollen and painful. This information was shared with the Parent Coordinator (August 2015), but no action has been taken to help with reoccurring problems that arise in the management of the child's diabetes in the father's home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but do not understand the question...are you asking the process to request to the court to modify the custody order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is one option. Looking for other help from any agency that might advocate for the needs of the child with diabetes in regards ***** ***** rights under ADA.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly petition the various agencies and ask them to assist. But I suspect that you may have a tough time convincing an agency to help you...few will engage in the required civil litigation. Still, no harm to ask.

By far the easiest way to accomplish this is to hire an attorney and let them file this for you.

If you can convince the court that the father is not treating the child properly? I would expect the court to give you custody.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up, wanted to see if you had more questions on this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.