Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Is the legal date of judgement summary dissolution 6 months

Customer Question

Hi is the legal date of judgement for a summary dissolution 6 months exactly from the date the petition is filed in the state of California? In other words, does this mean the divorce is effective automatically.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I filed a summery dissolution on 3/4/2015 as it was the date it was stamped on my document. It is 9/21/2015. The judge/court has yet to send a certified decree. which date should I go by for the actual legal date of divorce??
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

According to the guide put out by the CA courts regarding Summary Dissolution:

.

The date that appears on the Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage and Notice of Entry of Judgment

(form FL-825) you receive from the court is the "effective date" of the dissolution is the date your divorce will be

final, unless one of you has asked to stop the divorce prior to that effective date.

.

So it isn't an automatic 6 months to the day, it is the actual date stamped on the notice that you will eventually receive from the court.

.

With that said, you can contact the clerk of the court to see if they have already sent it out and you just didn't receive it for some reason, or ask they what the hold up is in having it signed off by the judge and if there is anything you can do to speed the process along.

.

.

thanks