How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2485
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 20 year old order of protection against me, from

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old order of protection against me , from north jersey (Middlesex county ) she has most out of the state of nj lives in DC how can I get this removed I would like to get a gun
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

To dissolve a restraining order, you must apply to the Family Court and make sure that the judge has a complete record of the original domestic violence hearing(s), including any and all transcripts.

There are eleven factors to consider for the "good cause" necessary to dismiss a restraining order:

  • Victim consent
  • Victim's Fear
  • Nature of the Current Relationship of the Parties
  • Contempt Convictions
  • The number of times that the defendant has been convicted of contempt for violating the restraining order.
  • Alcohol and Drug Involvement
  • Other Violent Acts
  • Whether Defendant Has Engaged in Domestic Violence Counseling
  • Age/Health of Defendant
  • Good Faith of Victim
  • Protective Orders Entered by Other Jurisdictions
  • Other Factors Deemed Relevant by the Court
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

If you can convince the judge, after s/he reviews the entire file, that these factors weigh in your favor, the order can be dissolved.

Do you have any other questions?

Related Family Law Questions