How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old daughter is refusing visitation with her

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter is refusing visitation with her father after she felt threatened by him at his home during her visitation time 2 days ago - he actually forced his way into her bedroom, breaking the door frame, and as she is able to drive, she informed him that she was coming back to my house and he let her do so, telling her, "you can come back when you get your head out of your a--". He did not even inquire about whether or not she returned to me safely that same evening, in fact actually waited to ask me until the next morning. She was so visibly distressed when she returned to me that night, that I did not feel it was safe to force her to return (he has had a history of giving her a severe spanking when she was 9 years old leaving multiple bruises - a report was made to CPS and he was required to attend anger management and parenting classes at that time). I called my local police department the next day to report this incident at my brother's urging. I am sure I need to consult my attorney, but wondering what a 16 year old's rights in the state of Virginia are.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

A 16-year-old does not have a right to refuse to go to scheduled visitation, because you as the parent are expected to make her go. You're in contempt of court if you don't comply with the court order, and the court tends to presume parents have the ability to make their children obey them. What that means is, to protect your daughter, the legal course of action is to file a Motion to Modify Custody. Explain all the things that happened. Your daughter can go to court and testify, and the judge will consider what she has to say when making a decision. She's old enough that her wishes should carry a lot of weight.

When there's reason to believe a child is in danger, it's possible to file an Emergency Ex Parte motion, which means you (and your daughter) would go before the judge immediately to explain why the change in custody is best for her. Any local attorney can help you draft that, or you can type up your own explanation of what happened and file it on your own.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.