How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30143
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I have bipolar and Fibromyalgia. I would like to know how to file a restraing on someone
that sucks the life out out of you? My mother-in-law says thing to me that are crude and mentally disturbing. WE Have been married for 30 years. She comes in my kitchen and cook Christmas dinner. I lock my doors and tell my husband, there better not be coming downstairs. They are buying things left and and right, My Husband and his mother have very unusual the point its unhealthy relationship. She comes up with anything so she can get my husband out to her and her husband house which is a***** I have put up with this for 30 years and is apparently clear to me who is priority to him. So i wand to file a restraining on her. so I want be walking on egg shells. IN MY OWN HOUSE!!
This is the only thing I could think of.
PS My husband is and always have been on her side..I am alone on 70 acres with my new puppy because he never comes down to talk me or even lets me know he is home.
I am very depressed and I sleep all day and night, I guess to escape the prison I am in
She and the rest of her family gives me very anxiety and panic. There was supposed to be a support team for me if I needed someone just to get it off my chest.. I think that last two days and then I was told to take a pill and get over it...I have been accused.
of stealing money from them, I was told that is was $17,000.00 to $12,000.00 and that against the law first of all having that much money in your home, She cleaned houses and that was the money she hide so she could not claim it on their income taxes.
If you have watched "Everyone Loves Raymond" that is my like by at let 3 Fold if no more.There is 30 years worth of crap I can tell you, but the main issue is the make both of illness worse. Just getting a restraning on her would be best. SHE IS MAKING MY ILLNESSES WORSE. I have the medical paper work to ptove it
dhe thinks of any excuse
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The law only allows for restraining orders where a person has threatened your health and safety. The order is to protect someone from intentional harm, such as physical abuse. Even if your mother-in-law is completely horrible, it's not likely that a judge would issue an order unless her behavior is threatening or likely to injure you.

You also have the option of filing for divorce. That would allow you freedom from your husband and his mother. Or you could ask your husband to attend counseling with you to help him understand why he needs to stop allowing his mother to treat you the way she does. If he won't go with you, you could go on your own to see if that helps you learn how to stand up to them both. I understand why you may not want to do this, but at the same time, think about the effect that a restraining order would likely have on your marriage if your husband and mother-in-law are as close as you say. The end result could be the same, but if you file, you're getting there on your own terms.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.