How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a divorce in 2012 and have a marital

Customer Question

I went through a divorce in 2012 and have a marital agreement. I live in Il in the same county the divorce was filed and my ex spouse moved to Indiana with our 3 children. No court litigation has taken place since then. My youngest child wants to move in with me in Illinois. Which state would have jurisdiction in this matter and which state would determine the child support adjustments.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The court that originally issued the order retains jurisdiction. In other words, you will have to file the modification in Illinois.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any questions?