How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118128
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Situation: A girl of 18. Divorced parents live in Ohio and

Customer Question

Situation: A girl of 18 . Divorced parents live in Ohio and New York . She attends college at Carolina Coastal University in S. C. Neither parent will offer financial or any other type of support. If she declares herself emancipated will she be able to
secure the financial aid needed to stay in school?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is an appeals process available through FAFSA, but it is not easy, because financial aid requires parental income be included in the support calculations. She would have to get her legal emancipation from the court and would have to attach that to the FAFSA with a letter explaining her parents provide zero support for any of her living expenses or educational expenses and will have to appeal to FAFSA to waive the parental income requirement on the FAFSA. It also requires her to spend some time on the phone with FAFSA through the US Department of Education to get them to enter the information into the computer because her trying to fill this out online will not work as their system will not allow completion of the process without the parental income information.